Wednesday, July 20, 2005

not another sax

i have never been musically talented. those who know me well, know that i have no idea what tone, pitch, or harmony are. when i sing, i just sing and worry not about the consequences.

now don't get me wrong, i have my rare moments. songs such as "Wooly Bully", "Monster Mash", and even "You Got It" i can sing rather well. more or less because i can simply imatate the singer's voice while singing. but still i do sound good with those songs. i am still trying to find others i can sing as well, but it's a long road.

as for musical instruments, i have never been able to get them down very well. my ear just seems to be unable to pick up the proper sound that needs to be made to create a song. this reminds me of my saxaphone i had in junior high. i was in the band, but i couldn't really play. and yes, i will admit that i didn't practice as much as i should of and eventully when we had to do performances, i would just finger along with my mouth on the reed and not really play at all. this reminds me of a time when i was in the cub scouts and there was a talent show where each troop was to lip sync to a song. i forget what song we choose, but i had my sax and i was suppose to pretend to play along with the sax solo in the song. this would of been just fine and dandy except the troop before us did the superbowl suffle and had a sax mimic as well. they went all out. they all dressed up as the bears and everything. i remeber thinking that i shouldn't do my sax thing because it would seem like i was coping them. but i swallowed my pride and mimiced my saxaphone playing. "not another sax" was heard from the crowd and i began to sweat, but i fake played on. we didn't win and those were the only times in my life where i held an instrument in front of a live audience.

that is until this last monday. at a comedy show, Garage Comedy, my friends Danforth France and Josh Fadem asked me to help out in a sketch that they pulled from an old Spectacular on Ice! show we did. Danforth played Teddy Tuneful, a beatles mix with buddy holly like that sang a simple song about love. Josh played a teenage tiny-booper who kept trying to get on stage to hug Teddy. then at one point, i run out instead of Josh. i was dressed like a mummy, and i moaned and danced to the song, until Teddy saw me and was scared stiff. the roadie pulled Teddy off and then brought on a Bass Guitar for the mummy to play. so for the first time ever, i played a musical instrument and sang to a live audience. it was a lot more scary than i thought. what did i play? well, it was really not that hard. just the bass rift to "Louie, Louie". and then as a mummy, i moaned the lyrics of the song in a singing tongueless moan. turned out to be pretty funny and made me want to play music more.

needless to say, i got a tiny, tiny taste of being a rock star and i really liked it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you learn to play "Coward of the County?" I would come to listen. And could you sing the song in the voice of a Bank Manager from the early 1900s. PLEASE!!!!

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home