Friday, September 17, 2004

Spot the Wonder Dog

excuse me? you want to know what now? huh ...well,

the very first time i ever got up on stage was in elementary school. i was in the 4th grade. every year there was a talent show and my 4th grade year i decided to do a magic act. i wanted to be a magician. so i worked out some tricks and my mom and i made a top hat out of construction paper and a baseball cap i had. i had a magic wand that was nothing more than a rolled up piece of construction paper. you had to audition for the show and during the audition my performance went smoothly. but the actual show was different. during the show my hat fell apart and all my tricks didn’t work. the crowd laughed and at some point i stopped worrying that my magic act was a disaster and starting enjoying the laughter.

the next year i came up with this dog trainer comedy act. it was basically stand up with a fake dog, which i made out of poster board and coat hangers. his name was Spot, the Wonder Dog. and how i worked was, i came out on stage by myself and introduced myself as not only a student, but a dog trainer, and now i’d like to show you on of my well trained dogs, Spot. then i went off stage and started coming back on stage with a leash in my hand, when the leash went tight and acted as if it jerked me back and that there was a heavy thing on the other end. as if the dog really didn’t want to come on stage. but i drag him on and it is revealed that the dog is this shotty looking poster board fake dog. the audience laughed. i went on to tell some silly dog jokes. i made Spot sit by pulling the leash back and having the dog stand on its own. i had Spot lie down and play dead. i think you get the picture. it was a success. that was the very first comedy act i conceived, wrote, and performed. unfortunately, i didn’t do stand up again until 2000, right after i graduated from college. i forgot what that feeling was until i stepped up on stage at “The Joke Yard” in savannah, georgia. but since then, i’ve never stopped.

may 1988, chad fogland with Spot the Wonder Dog!

perhaps i’ll bring back Spot, the Wonder Dog at our Sunday show, The Pretty Okay Ho-hum Spectacular on Ice!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chad Fogland, you are a sexy man. I wish I was as sexy as you. I cannot, though, for there is only ONE Chad Fogland, and he takes up all the sexy this world has to offer.

Can I be in your show now?

Regards,
JB
ArcLight Guest Services

2:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home